The ginger from last week is working a treat, and as I’ve almost consumed or given away all of what was made last week, I made a massive load of it this evening. Got a huge ginger root from the Middle Eastern grocery down the street (I think it was about a pound) and sliced/diced about 3/4 of it. Put that in the pot with about 8 cups of water for the first boil, didn’t measure for the second boil, but added about 5.5 or 6 cups of sugar to that and then simmered until the spoon stuck to the drip plate (the plate I was setting it on in between stirs), which took about 25 minutes. :}
This batch is delicious. I’ve got a lot of syrup and not nearly as many candied ginger slices as I’d like, but I have sent off 2 gifts of slices already, so I can’t complain. I just always wish there were more slices… more!
Also, the beef stew/wallpaper paste has improved over time. Just to follow up on that too. I definitely messed it up, but it’s edible. And sometimes, edible is good enough. lol