I love any type of fruit crisp, but it’s certainly not worth making a whole pan for one person… here’s my janky little single-serving version of it, or at least it’s how I made it this last time. No photos again. I’ll take some next time!
*** Preheat oven (in my case, toaster oven) to 350F.
- 1 or 2 apples, depending on the size of your cooking dish (I used a ramekin a little larger than the palm of my hand, so I used an apple and a bit more)
- oats (if you’re gluten sensitive, be sure they’re gluten-free – I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- cinnamon (I used Ceylon, not Cassia, because I’m a cinnamon snob)
- sugar (sometimes I combine white and brown, coz why not)
- lemon juice
- Core, peel, and slice the apples (or you can leave the peels on if you like), then lay them in the ramekin
- Sprinkle lemon juice over them – I had part of a lemon, so I squeezed it over the slices
- Sprinkle cinnamon on – I used lots because I would marry cinnamon if I could
- Spread the dry oats over the top so they cover the apple slices
- Here’s where I add WAY TOO MUCH sugar: I put cane sugar over the oats in a nice thick sprinkle
- Then add the butter over the sugar and the oats in fairly thin slices, basically covering the oats
- THEN ADD MORE SUGAR BECAUSE DEATH AND TAXES, PEOPLE (full disclosure, I originally typed “death and Texas”, I’m sorry Texas, I’ve got nothing against you personally)
- Put the ramekin in the toaster oven for somewhere between half hour and 40 minutes, checking occasionally to make sure it’s not bursting into flames. Because that, my friends, is suboptimal.
- Let it cool, so you don’t burn your mouth like Camo eating the berry pies in “Dragonsinger”. Oh. Sorry. I’m a nerd. I didn’t warn you, my bad.
- Eat and be joyous!
I don’t remember quite how long it took mine to cook, but when it was ready, the top had browned and the apples inside were visibly gooey and bubbling and it was a symphony of luscious hedonistic fruity love. In short, it looked like apple crisp.
(I almost typed “apple crips”, but that would be gang-related, and I am so not going there.)
Hopefully it works for you, and hopefully it will for me when I try it again. lol